XA/ introduction/ self-reflection





This project was designed to solve some problems in life that can really bother us. The reason why I decided to do this project is that I realized the difficulties for cooking beginners to follow the instruction of all the available kitchen-app. I, as one of the beginners, have trouble following the instructions and hints in those apps. Consequently, our group wants to come up with something more detailed and more accessible so that the beginner won’t feel confusing. Firstly, we learned how to find “pain” and “high”, which will determine whether our creation is practical. Then, we construct the framework of the project including our uniqueness, our forms, and our users. Subsequently, brainstorming and task assigning will be implemented to actualize our ideas. Ultimately, we release the first version to the first set of our users who will then give feedbacks toward their experiences, pros and cons, and some other suggestions that might help to upgrade our product. Later on, we turn to our coaches for further advice and update another version of the product and cycle through all these steps again. I have adapted system thinking in this one because all our works were actually systematic: we clear the core values and concepts and create the first draft; we get feedback from users and improve the current version; then we head back to users, etc. Our group was helped by Kate, Chuck, Sarah, and whoever had given us feedbacks in checkpoints and user-tunings. My groupmates’ assistances were also considerable; we worked this out together with clear outlines and effective brainstormings.


I’ve learned that there are no demands at first, or there’s plenty of hidden demands awaited. The point of making a product come true is to either create demands or seek for demands. In the first phase of our project, we weren’t sure about the authenticity of the demands that we planned to base on. As the project progressed and investigations projected, our group hit the pinpoint of the “creating phase”——there’s actually a lot of kitchen-beginner our there who can refine their mechanisms with the particularly detailed orientations in our product. As a result, we kept updating the project and gained suggestions from the coaches about how to clarify our user community and our uniqueness.

I definitely had applied system thinking during the process. The whole process of making this product has a clear structure——find pain and high; seize the demand; verify the authenticity; craft the first draft; request feedback from users; update the product; receive feedbacks from uses. In fact, during the countless brainstormings, we had doubted and discussed the core idea more than many because that’s what separates our product from those existing ones.

I always tried to remind our group members about what kind of users we will serve and how will they prefer our creation due to our beginner-friendly instructions. Taken together, the accomplishment of this project requires a systematic mindset, great collaboration skills, and brilliant oral communication abilities. 

I have heightened my system thinking competency whereas my oral communication skills still needed to improve; sometimes I didn’t express myself clearly and drew some misunderstandings due to confusion. To perfect this skill, I need to get involved in more team-work projects and polish the craftsmanship continually. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *